I have always been curious about how does meditation really make a difference. After all, its just breathing techniques right? I was going through several Tedx talks and some articles where I read that those who have practiced it have significantly benefitted from it. So I chose to give it a try and see if it actually works.
I have been practicing meditation since over a month now. I just wake up and do anulom-vilom or kabalbhatti for 5-10 minutes in the morning. I do it right after I freshen up and before I eat anything at all because meditating reduces your metabolic rate, and you don’t want that right after eating. So yes, I’ve been starting my day with a little meditation everyday and I would write the changes I have felt.
- Concentration : I’m personally easily distractive. If I am reading a book and I see a catchy notification on my phone, I would probably get back to reading after 20 minutes or even more. I get distracted very very easily which often hampers a lot of important activities. Moreover, I’ve always found it uncontrollable- until now! I do not know the science or logic behind this (if you do, please pass on that knowledge) but after practicing meditation I can ay attention and focus.
- Calmness– Yes, thats no more getting angry easily. Anger is anyway considered to be one of the most negative powerful emotions. A person who gets angry often, their life is dominated by this emotion. I’m not someone who gets angry but I do get annoyed easily, now I do get annoyed (because duh I’m no saint) but just not easily.
- Clarity– I can think more clearly instead of just being bombarded by conflicting thoughts. It’s always been a problem for me, so.
- Emotional stability– Thats no more being impulsive and irrational. Glad I finally landed on this one.
- Happiness– Its just overall made me so so happy! Just adds to the already happy person that I am. It makes me feel good about myself, what’s happening to me, and those around me. So yes, thats overall happiness!!
What I have read above is just what I have personally experienced. Of course everyone is different and we will all have different experiences, but what I can say is that it will be positive. The reason I have noticed these is because most of them were flaws which have become my strength now, and you will feel that too.
Below I would be mentioning some information about meditation given in the great Artof Living website so you could get an overall generalised picture as well.
5 Health benefits of meditation
With meditation, the physiology undergoes a change and every cell in the body is filled with more prana (energy). This results in joy, peace, enthusiasm as the level of prana in the body increases.
On a physical level, meditation:
- Lowers high blood pressure
- Lowers the levels of blood lactate, reducing anxiety attacks
- Decreases any tension-related pain, such as, tension headaches, ulcers, insomnia, muscle and joint problems
- Increases serotonin production that improves mood and behavior
- Improves the immune system
- Increases the energy level, as you gain an inner source of energy
11 Mental Benefits of Meditation
Meditation brings the brainwave pattern into an alpha state that promotes healing. The mind becomes fresh, delicate and beautiful. It cleanses and nourishes you from within and calms you, whenever you feel overwhelmed, unstable, or emotionally shut down. With regular practice of meditation:
- Anxiety decreases
- Emotional stability improves
- Creativity increases
- Happiness increases
- Intuition develops
- Gain clarity and peace of mind
- Problems become smaller
- Meditation sharpens the mind by gaining focus and expands through relaxation
- A sharp mind without expansion causes tension, anger and frustration
- An expanded consciousness without sharpness can lead to lack of action/progress
- The balance of a sharp mind and an expanded consciousness brings perfection
Meditation makes you aware – that your inner attitude determines your happiness.
3 Spiritual benefits of meditation
Meditation doesn’t have a religion and can be practiced by anybody regardless of the faith they follow.
- Effortless transition from being something to merging with the infinite and recognizing yourself as an inseparable part of the whole cosmos
- In a meditative state, you are in a space of vastness, calmness and joy and this is what you emit into the environment, bringing harmony to the Creation/planet.
- Meditation can bring about a true personal transformation. As you learn more about yourself, you’ll naturally start discovering more about yourself.
How to get meditation benefits
To experience the benefits of meditation, regular practice is necessary. It takes only a few minutes every day. Once imbibed into the daily routine, meditation becomes the best part of your day!
Meditation is like a seed. When you cultivate a seed with love, the more it blossoms.
Busy people from all backgrounds are grateful to pause and enjoy a refreshing few minutes of meditation each day. Dive deep into yourself and enrich your life.
5 Benefits of meditation for students
- Greater confidence
- More focus and clarity
- Better health
- More mental strength and energy
- Greater dynamism!
Try it and see the changes for yourself. And after all, it just takes 5-10 minutes of your day so no excuses!